Project Description📖 2 mins read
Google recently launched Connected Sheets, which connects Google Sheets and BigQuery to help you analyze large datasets using familiar spreadsheet tools.
Google is now adding support for macros and APIs to help you automate tasks, as well as providing mobile access. Specifically, you can now use Connected Sheets with:
Developers and end users
Why you’d use it
Sheets Macro recorder
You can use the macro recorder to record when to create, edit, delete, and refresh Connected Sheets objects. This generates macros which you can then directly run in Sheets to refresh the data. This can automate common tasks, saving time and reducing errors.
Apps Script and Sheets API
You can use these APIs to write scripts and applications that automate tasks. For example, you can automate CRUD functions for Connected Sheets objects, including sheets, formulas, pivot tables, and extracts. Additionally, you can use the APIs to refresh these objects, as well as to refresh charts.
Mobile app support
You can now view Connected Sheets on mobile devices. You can also copy and paste data from Connected Sheets using the mobile apps. At this stage, you can’t create, edit, or refresh data in Connected Sheets on mobile.
- Admins: There is no admin control for this feature. Learn more about how to use Connected Sheets in your organization.
- End users and developers:
- Macro recorder in Sheets: Find the tool at Google Sheets > Tools > Macros. Use the Help Center to learn how to use macros to automate tasks in Google Sheets.
- Apps Script and Sheets API: See this guide to using Apps Script and Connected Sheets, the Apps Script spreadsheet service documentation, and the Sheets API documentation.
- Mobile apps: Make sure you’re using the latest versions of the Sheets Android and iOS apps.
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains:
- Sheets Macro recorder: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on August 26, 2020.
- Apps Script: Available now for all users.
- Sheets API: Available in September.
- Android app: Gradual rollout (up top 15 days for feature visibility) starting on August 17, 2020. To get access, update to the latest version of the Sheets Android app.
- iOS app: Gradual rollout (up top 15 days for feature visibility) starting on August 24, 2020. To get access, update to the latest version of the Sheets iOS app.
- Connected Sheets is available to Google Workspace Enterprise, Google Workspace Enterprise for Education, and Google Workspace Enterprise Essentials customers
- Connected Sheets is not available to Google Workspace Basic, Google Workspace Business, Google Workspace for Education, Google Workspace for Nonprofits, and Google Workspace Essentials customers
Thanks for sharing and spreading the word!