Google is making Connected Sheets generally available to G Suite Enterprise and G Suite Enterprise for Education customers. Connected Sheets helps you analyse BigQuery data in Google Sheets. It was previously available in beta. Connected Sheets will replace Sheets data connector, a more limited way to connect Sheets and BigQuery.
Read more about how you can use it to analyze petabytes of data with Google Sheets in the Cloud Blog post.
Why you’d use it
Connected Sheets links Google Sheets to BigQuery, so you can analyze large BigQuery datasets using familiar spreadsheet tools and operations. This means users don’t need to know SQL and can generate insights with basic spreadsheet operations like formulas, charts, and pivot tables.
This makes it easier for more members of your organization to understand, collaborate on, and generate insights from data. Specifically, it can help subject matter experts work with data without relying on analysts, who may be less familiar with the context of the data or be overloaded with a wide range of data requests.
Connected Sheets includes all the capabilities of the legacy Sheets data connector with additional enhancements. Enhancements include the ability to analyze and visualize data in Sheets without needing to first extract the data, being able to see a preview of data through a Sheet, and scheduling data refreshes to avoid analyzing stale data.
- Admins: No action required, Connected Sheets will be ON by default. To use it, you must have set up BigQuery for your organization, and users must have access to tables or views in BigQuery. Use the Help Center to learn more about how to set up Connected Sheets.
- End users: This feature will be ON by default. To use it, must have access to tables or views in BigQuery. Use the Help Center to learn more about Connected Sheets.
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Extended rollout (potentially more than 15 days for feature visibility) starting on June 30, 2020. Google expects rollout to complete within a month.
- Available to G Suite Enterprise and G Suite Enterprise for Education customers*
- Not available to G Suite Basic, G Suite Business, G Suite for Education, and G Suite for Nonprofits customers
- This feature was listed as an upcoming G Suite release.