Google added support for migrating Microsoft Exchange In-Place Archives to the Google Workspace Migrate beta. Admins can use this new functionality to migrate the content of their user’s Exchange In-Place Archives to Google Workspace. Additionally, admins can:
- Make migrated archive mail only visible in Google Vault (not Gmail).
- Make attachments of archived mail uploaded to Google Drive only visible in Google Vault. If you turn on this setting, large email attachments will be visible in Vault (not Drive).
- Choose how to apply labels to archive folders in Gmail.
Why it’s important
Previously, it wasn’t possible to migrate archived email from Exchange to Gmail. This feature makes it easy for admins to migrate both active and archived email to Google Workspace.
How to get started
- The Exchange In-Place Archive is available to Google Workspace Migrate beta participants.
- Admins will need to update their current Google Workspace Migrate platform to access this new feature.
- Email archive migrations can be turned on via settings templates in the Google Workspace Migrate beta.
- End users: No action required.
- Available to Google Workspace Business, Google Workspace Enterprise, Google Workspace Enterprise for Education, and Drive for Enterprise
- Not available to Google Workspace Basic, Google Workspace for Education, and Google Workspace for Nonprofits
- This feature is available to Google Workspace Migrate beta participants. It can be accessed by updating the Google Workspace Migrate platform.