Project Description📖 2 mins read
Quick launch summary
Google is making two Google Docs assistive writing features—Smart Compose and Autocorrect—available to Google Workspace for Education, Google Workspace Enterprise for Education, and Google Workspace for Nonprofits users.
These features add to other intelligent assistive writing features, such as neural grammar correction in Gmail, which help Google Workspace for Education users write more quickly and efficiently. The new features were previously available to other Google Workspace editions, but not Google Workspace for Education customers. Users can choose to turn each feature on or off.
Autocorrect in Google Docs
Autocorrect helps you compose documents quickly and with confidence. Misspelled words will automatically be corrected while typing and denoted with a grey dashed underline. As you continue typing, this dashed line will disappear. It will be available for Google Docs on the web in English. See more information on autocorrect in Docs here.
Smart Compose in Google Docs
Smart Compose helps you compose high-quality content faster by cutting back on repetitive writing while reducing the chance of spelling and grammatical errors. It will be available for Google Docs on the web in English. See more information on Smart Compose in Docs here.
Admins: There are currently no admin controls for these features. However, we plan to add an admin control for Smart Compose by the start of the 2020/2021 school year.
- Smart Compose in Docs will be ON by default and can be disabled by the user. Visit the Help Center to learn more about using Smart Compose in Google Docs.
- Autocorrect in Docs will be ON by default and can be disabled by the user. Visit the Help Center to learn more about using autocorrect in Google Docs.
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Extended rollout (potentially longer than 15 days for feature visibility) starting on June 1, 2020. We expect rollout to complete by June 30, 2020.
- Now available to Google Workspace for Education, Google Workspace Enterprise for Education customers, and Google Workspace for Nonprofits customers
- Already available to Google Workspace Basic, Google Workspace Business, and Google Workspace Enterprise customers.