📖 2 mins read
Google is improving the Android and iOS experiences for Google Docs users with two new features. These were previously available on the web, and are now available on mobile as well:
- Link previews, which help you get context from linked content without bouncing between apps and screens.
- Smart Compose, which helps you write faster and with more confidence.
Read Google’s Cloud Blog post to learn more about how these and other launches can help you collaborate from anywhere, with Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides on mobile.
Why it’s important
These launches build on other recent launches that improve the mobile user experience, including a new commenting interface in Docs on Android, dynamic email notifications for Gmail on mobile, and dark mode for Docs, Sheets, and Slides on Android.
Together, these features will help make it easier and quicker not only to read and review content on mobile devices, but also to create and collaborate on content, wherever you are.
Linked content can enrich documents with useful information, but if clicking a link means opening another window, that can be distracting and disrupt your reading flow.
Earlier this year, Google launched link previews on the web. Now, they’re adding link previews to mobile as well. When you click on a link in Docs, dynamic information about the content will appear. This may include the title, description, and thumbnail images from public web pages, or the owner and latest activity for linked Drive files.
This can help you decide whether to open linked content while staying in-context.
Preview links in Google Docs on the web
Preview links in Google Docs on mobile devices
Smart Compose on mobile will help you write documents faster and reduce the chance of spelling and grammatical errors when working on the go. When a Smart Compose suggestion appears, simply swipe right to accept it.
Admins: These features will be ON by default. There are no admin controls for them.
- Link previews: This feature will be on by default. There is no setting to control the feature.
- Smart Compose: This feature may be on or off depending on whether you have turned it on or off on the web. When enabled, you’ll automatically see suggestions; swipe right to accept a suggestion. Visit the Help Center to learn more about using Smart Compose in Google Docs.
Link previews in Docs, iOS and Web
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: This feature is available now for all users.
Link previews in Docs, Android
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting August 26, 2020.
Smart Compose in Docs, iOS
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting August 5, 2020.
Smart Compose in Docs, Android
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting August 12, 2020.
- Link previews in Docs: Available to all G Suite customers and users with personal accounts.
- Smart Compose in Docs: Available to all G Suite customers. Not available to users with personal accounts.
Thanks for sharing and spreading the word!