Project Description📖 2 mins read
Google is giving hosts (meeting creators and calendar owners) of G Suite for Education meetings new meeting safety controls to manage who can join their meetings.
Manage meeting attendees
To control access to their meetings, hosts can turn “Quick access” on or off. By default, this setting will be on.
When “Quick access” is on:
- Participants in the same domain as the host do not need to knock to request to join the meeting.
- Participants joining by phone do not need to knock to request to join the meeting.
- Participants can dial-out from within the meeting.
When “Quick access” is turned off:
- All users, including those in the same domain as the host, must knock to request to join the meeting unless they’re on the calendar invite. This includes any users who are dialing in to the meeting by phone.
- Any participants invited from within the meeting by anyone other than the host need to knock to request to join.
- Only the host can dial-out from within the meeting.
Hosts can turn “Quick access” on or off as often as they wish from Google Meet on the web once the meeting has started.
Note: Hosts will not see the option to change this setting on mobile devices.
If you’re unable to turn the features on or off, it’s possible that you have a Chrome extension for Meet which is preventing the features from working. To fix the issue, try turning your Meet Chrome extensions off.
Soon Google will be adding additional functionality to the “Quick access” setting. Stay tuned to for the rollout timeline for those additional features:
- When “Quick access” is off, the host must join the meeting first. Until the host joins, participants on the web will see the message: “Waiting for the Host to Join: The meeting will start as soon as the host has joined.”
- Hosts can turn “Quick access” on or off for meetings created in Google Calendar in addition to those created from Google Meet.
Admins: There are no admin controls for these features.
End users: “Quick access” will be on by default and can be turned on or off by the host during each meeting. Visit the Help Center to learn more about turning these features on or off in your meetings.
- Rapid and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility)
- Available to all G Suite for Education and G Suite Enterprise for Education customers
- Not available to G Suite Essentials, G Suite Basic, G Suite Business, G Suite Enterprise, and G Suite for Nonprofits customers