Project Description📖 < 1 min read
Google is updating the interface which tells users about the file save status and whether they’re working online or offline in Google Docs editors and Drawings.
The changes will help users understand where the file is saved, whether they’re connected to the network, and if the file is available to edit offline.
This is an update to the interface only – there are no changes in the underlying functionality. The changes you may notice include:
- A new location for document save status next to the document name.
- More descriptive text to indicate whether a document is saved to the cloud (when online) or to the device (offline).
- A new way to enable offline by clicking on the document status icon. Previously, you had to go to File > Make available offline.
For users in domains where admins have turned off Docs editors offline access, Google will adjust the message shown to users in order to minimize confusion regarding settings controlled by their admin.
See images below for more details.
- Admins: This interface update will be enabled by default. Use the Help Center to control whether your organization’s files are available offline.
- End users: This feature will be ON by default. Use the Help Center to learn more about working on Docs, Sheets, and Slides offline.
The saved file indicator is now next to the document name and features more descriptive text
You can enable offline by clicking the document status icon
- Rapid Release domains: Already available to Rapid Release domains
- Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on June 8, 2020
- Available to all G Suite customers and users with personal Google Accounts.