📖 2 mins read
You can now attach emails to other emails in Gmail without downloading them first.
|To insert emails in a new thread, drag and drop them into the draft window.|
|Another way to insert emails in a new thread is to select the emails and then from the overflow (three-dot) menu select “Forward as attachment”.|
|To reply to an existing thread, you can pop-out the compose window and then drag and drop emails to it.|
Why you’d use it
There are situations where attaching emails makes more sense than forwarding separate emails, like wanting to forward multiple messages related to a single topic. With this new functionality, you can do exactly that. Sending emails as attachments allows you to write a summary email message to your recipients, and attach the set of supporting emails that recipients can directly open in their mail client.
How to get started
- Admins: No action required.
- End users: You’ll know this feature is available to you when you see the “Forward as attachment” option in the three-dot More menu. Follow the steps in this Help Center article.
When emails are sent as an attachment:
- The attached email becomes a .eml file.
- You can attach as many emails as you’d like.
- When you click on a .eml email attachment, it will open in a new window.
- Rapid Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on December 9th, 2019
- Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on January 13, 2020
*Please note that this feature is rolling out gradually. You’ll know this feature is available to you when you see the “Forward as attachment” option in the three-dot More menu.
Google Workspace editions
- Available to all Google Workspace editions
On/off by default?
- This feature will be ON by default.