Project Description📖 2 mins read
Google has added tools in Google Meet that make it easier for end users to understand how their local desktop and network environments affect meeting quality.
During a call, you can now go to the three-dot menu and select “Troubleshooting and Help” to see:
- CPU load and network stability over time
- Time segments highlighted when the local environment likely affects the call quality
- Suggested actions to help improve call performance
- Real-time feedback on the effect of any action taken on network and processing load
- Tips for performing common tasks, like presenting content and recording meetings
Why it’s important
Meet shares processing power and network connections with all other applications and browser tabs running on a computer.
When the system is overusing its processing power or suffering from a bad network connection, Meet will try to adjust and maintain performance while consuming less resources. Some of those adjustments are less visible, but if resource shortages are severe or persistent, users may notice blurry video, stuttering audio, or other issues.
With this launch, Google is providing more visibility into how the system is performing. This will help diagnose and alleviate any noticeable performance issues if they occur.
- Admins: There is no admin control for this feature, but you can use the Help Center to learn how to prepare your network for Meet video calls.
- End users: This feature will be available by default, To find it, go to the three-dot menu and select “Troubleshooting and Help” during a call. Visit the Help Center to learn more about troubleshooting performance in Google Meet.
- Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on January 12, 2021
- Available to Google Workspace Essentials, Business Starter, Business Standard, Business Plus, Enterprise Essentials, Enterprise Standard, and Enterprise Plus, as well as Google Workspace Basic, Business, Education, Enterprise for Education, and Nonprofits customers
Thanks for sharing and spreading the word!