Introduction to Teacher Assist
With Teacher Assist teachers are given the ability to monitor and control students while class is in session. With this tool, teachers can ensure that students stay on track and follow along with the subject being taught. Having the ability to track student engagement in real-time is a big asset for teachers, G Suite super admins, and Principals.
Functionality that teachers have:
- Monitor the current screen of all students in their classrooms.
- View all of the tabs on students’ Chrome Browser.
- Close browser tabs that are irrelevant for students.
- View the browser history during the active session.
- Distribute a website to automatically open and display on some or all students’ screens.
- To block a website from being used while class is in session.
Super Admins, principals, or teachers can create a group of students whose behavior is alarming. The group can be monitored and controlled with the same abilities above.
Who can access the Teacher Assist tool?
By default, all G Suite Super Admins have access to the tool.
Teachers who own or have created a Google Classroom can log in and use the tool
If you want to give a non-super admin or a normal user who is not teacher access into Teacher Assist, you will need to create a custom group (not the same as a Google Group).
How can a teacher start a session?
Launch Teacher Assist from Google Apps button
Alternatively can be launched from this URL: https://gs.generalaudittool.com/apps/teachers
From the menu on the left select Classes
On the right side click on the Play button to start a session
The classroom session will be started.
You will see a list of students if they are already connected and logged in their device. The browsing activity will be automatically displayed
Important: Make sure that students are signed in to their school Google account on ChromeOS devices and if they’re using Windows or Apple devices that they sign in and sync with their Google Chrome browser. Shield must be deployed on the student accounts.
View student’s open Chrome tabs
Double click on a student’s screen, to view things in greater depth. Alternatively, click on the action drop-down where you’ll see the option VIEW.
When you have clicked VIEW or double-clicked on the screen, you will see the current screen the student is on.
On the right-hand side, you will see Tab list of all tabs that are currently opened on student Chrome browser
Clicking on the other tabs within the Tab List will force the student’s screen to change to the tab you clicked on.
Take action on a single student
Hover over the action button to see all of the individual actions you can take.
You will be presented with the following options:
- Open Tab – will open a new tab on the student’s device.
- Distribute Current Page – will distribute the current tab to all other students.
- Block Current Page – will prevent the student from accessing the webpage.
- Browsing History – will show all of the webpage accessed by the student from the point of the session starting.
Take action on all students
When hovering over the classroom action bar, you will be presented with the following options:
- Select All – select all students
- Clear selection – clear the selected students
- Open tab – set a page as allowed and distribute the page to ALL users.
- Session control – apply rules for all students in the classroom
- Block all sites by default – block all pages (disable the students to access any site)
- Allow – individual pages – allowed pages will only be allowed – if all sites
- Block – individual pages –
The above rules are applied for the Teacher assist session. Pages will be allowed after the Teacher leaves the session.
- Reconnect – Set reestablishment of the connection. Use if students were not logged in their account at the start of the session. Use reconnect to reconnect with student accounts.
In the Classroom tab, view all the Classrooms and apply filter by Teacher
- Click on the Play button to start a session
- Click on the Pen icon to view details for the classroom.
- List of Students
- Prepare class session
- Apply rules
- Block all sites by default
- Allow pages
- Block pages
- Apply rules
- Info – additional information regarding the classroom
- The last button will lead you to the Classroom insight tab
Classroom Insights will display additional information regarding the classrooms.
This will allow the teachers to view everything about the classrooms.
People list of all students and teachers for the classroom.
In Classworks see all the classwork for the classroom, the Due date, Avgerage grade for the classwork, and description.
The Grades will show all the submitted grades by the teachers for each student and average for each classwork.
Browsing activity will use data from Shield to display the browsing done by the students for any given day (3 months back)
Groups in Teacher Assist
Launch Teacher Assist and click on Groups
From the top right side click on Create new group
Enter a name for the group
Fill in all the details
- Description – enter a description and edit the group name
- Teachers – enter the teacher email and click on the Add button
- Students – enter the student email and click on the Add button
- Prepare Group Session – Set up a rule to block all sites by default and allow or block certain pages
When ready with settings, click on the Exit button
The group will be created and saved under the Groups tab
Groups and Classrooms
Teacher Assist Groups and Classrooms work in the sample principle, the Teachers can control the Students in Classes and Groups
Troubleshooting – Connection State
Green – WebSocket connection is established and working.
Yellow – WebSocket connection is trying to reestablish.
Red – WebSocket connection is lost.
Grey – User is not logged in to their account (Shield is not deployed to this user). If a student has logged in after the Teacher assist session has started their account will be “grey”, you can use Reconnect to reset the connection so the new students to be visible.
To request a demo please click here and fill the form, we will get back to you in less than 12 hours during weekdays.
If you tried GAT in the past and you would like to run a fresh trial again, please enquire through this form.