How to Silently View Google Drive View Files from Any Google Workspace User
We are going to use a powerful search feature in the GAT+ Google Drive audit where GAT+ can identify the contents of documents.
This feature is called the ‘File content search’.
It allows admins/delegated auditor to use words or sentences to search through all of the files across your domain and it will return documents that contain them.
In GAT+ click on Drive > File Content Search
Fill in the necessary details
- Query – enter the Query you are searching for
- Full text only – enable or disable by clicking on the checkmark
- User/Group/Org.Unit – select where to search the file, within what users?
- Search files – Apply the filter
- Previous searches – select any of the previous searches that ran
In the example below, we search for a File that contains the sentence “Test for auto share removal”
Note: It might take some time for the search to complete depending on the search performed and the number of files you have in your domain.
The result files will contain the sentence “Test for auto share removal”.
Select the files you want to access, by clicking on the checkmarks beside the file title.
Select the files needed -> File operations button -> Create new access request
A pop-up window will be displayed.
- Request access until – pick a date until access to view the files will be granted
- Message – leave an (optional) Message to the Security officer
- Send request – to proceed
Security officer approval
When the request is sent, the Security officer will receive an email notification for approval.
When “click here” the Security officer can Approve or Deny the request.
When it is approved, an email will be sent to the requester, that it is approved.
Access the files
When approved click on the “previous searches” button and select the previous filter applied.
Click on the green checkmark under Actions
This will filter back the previous search and show the result.
This time, the result will include the files we requested also access to.
View file content
From the right side under Actions > (lock icon) option:
- Show File content
A carbon copy of the selected File will be opened, the end-user will not see that their file was accessed.