Looking for a way to Copy or Transfer Google Shared Drive Files and Folders? — Here’s all you need to know… #
There are no Google APIs that allow actions such as copying and moving files and folders from MyDrive to Shared Drives and from Shared Drive to another Shared Drive.
Actions NOT allowed on Shared Drives #
Due to this limitation from Google’s end, the below actions are not allowed on Shared Drives.
- Change ownership of Shared Drives – As the Shared Drives don’t have “owners” – we can change Manager – Content Managers to them
- Copy files/folders of Shared Drives – At the moment it is not possible to copy Shared Drive files
The above actions however are allowed for MyDrive files – see the ‘how-to’ examples below.
Actions Allowed on Shared Drives #
Using GAT+ a Google Workspace Admin can:
- Add – Add users as (Commenter/Viewer/Contributor/Manager/Content Manager)
- Remove – Remove users as (Commenter/Viewer/Contributor/Manager/Content Manager)
- Replace – Replace existing permissions/users as (Commenter/Viewer/Contributor/Manager/Content Manager)
- Settings management of Shared Drives:
- Sharing only inside a domain
- Sharing only with drive members
- Only Contributors can download, copy and print
See the ‘how-to’ examples below.